Saturday, March 16, 2013

Three Years, A Blogging Break, Google Reader and other things too!

Image Source: We Heart It.




THREE!


That's right, in just a couple of days, this blog will turn three, and I'd like to take this opportunity to everyone who stops by to read my ramblings, especially those regular readers who stop by time after time to share their thoughts on my thoughts.  Thank you all! I started this blog on a total whim, and I'm always surprised when it gets another year older, as generally I have a short-internet-attention-span! Blogging is fun, though, so here's to another year!


A Blogging Break


Okay, so I know I just said that blogging was fun (and it is!), but it also takes up a ton of time.  Unless you've been there with a blog, you probably won't realize just how much time it takes to keep a blog regularly updated -- I'm talking up to five posts a week -- many which consists of reviews that take (me) sometimes hours to write. 

So, I'm taking a break. 

I want to write (not just reviews, but an actual book) and I've often found over the last few months in particular that my blogging time has been cutting into my writing time -- that's even after I've stopped accepting most review copies! There's always so much to do where blogging is concerned, and so I've decided to take a time-out.  I've taken breaks before, but this one will be a little bit longer.  

My plan is to take the rest of March and all of April off, so you should see me back here in May. Then again, I could return sooner. Who knows if I'll be able to stay away for that long! 

I should be more organized when I return as I plan to stockpile reviews during my break and I'll also use that time to plan my Summer Spotlight feature. 

Most of all, though, I'll use that time to write. And catch up on TV shows. I also need to read certain books that I've been meaning to read for years (The Hunger Games, Before I Fall) -- basically all those books that have fallen by the wayside. As all bloggers know -- review copies generally take precedence over older books even if you don't plan it that way!


Google Reader

This week you may have heard that as of July 1st 2013 Google Reader will cease to exist. Cheers for that, Google!  I just hope they don't go and delete Blogger next as part of their 'Spring Clean.'

So. If you follow this blog (or any other blog) via that service, then you'll need to find a new way to follow. I recommend Bloglovin' -- it's sleek and simple and you can even import your Google Reader subscriptions with the click of a button: http://www.bloglovin.com/import/reader   



There are a number of other RSS services out there including Feedly, Friendfeed, Newsblur and Netvibes. You just need to find the one that suits you best. 


Disqus Comments

You might have noticed that the comments system on here has undergone something of an ugly change this week. Nothing to do with me, I swear. It's still pretty simple to use - just pretty ugly to look at, and there's nothing I can do about it. I've already complained to Disqus. Ha! And I've already tried to change the comment text by doing all sorts of crazy html stuff, but, no dice.

The main problem is that the text looks gigantic. I don't know if this bothers anyone but me, but I had to put it in there.  

I would actually go and change the commenting system, but I'm too afraid of losing every comment. Which is probably what would happen. I'm not so great at all this technical stuff.



FOUR!

So, I couldn't take off on my super long blog break without mentioning that 'Four' has finally been cast in the Divergent movie. I'm so excited for this movie, and I'm happy with this guy as Four -- even though I've never seen him act in anything.  My initial reaction was something along the lines of:  'It's not Pettyfer - thank you, thank you, thank you casting gods!'  I was pretty dismayed when my 'Fallen' casting contest resulted in an almost unanimous vote for Pettyfer as Daniel. That said, he has a good look for Daniel, but he would have been totally wrong for Four, in my opinion.

What do you think of Theo James as Four?


Divergent Movie: Theo James as Four



This Divergent movie is shaping up pretty well casting wise, it must be said!



That's all from me for now. I'll be back in May! Maybe even before that! Oh, and I'll still be around on Goodreads and probably on twitter too!





No comments:

Post a Comment