Tuesday, June 8, 2010

E-Books are not the problem, it's all me! A.K.A NetGalley post #2.

I did a feature on NetGalley a while back, and now that I've read my first eBook, I thought I'd let you guys know my thoughts.  I read the book The Bad Queen: Rules and Instructions for Marie-Antoinette on my PC using Adobe Digital Editions, and as far as the actual reading goes it was fine - Adobe Digital Editions is a pretty funky tool, and you can increase the page sizes so that eye-strain and squinting are eliminated.  So far, so good.  Problem is that it wasn't much fun for me to sit at my PC for hours reading the book.  Usually I like to read at night curled up in bed, or if the sun is out, I like to hit my garden or the beach with my books.  In this sense, my PC was a real let down. I read the last hundred pages or so of the book on my boyfriend's laptop, and that was better, but there was still a problem.  That problem was me, and my poor concentration.  OMG! When I am reading on  a computer I can't stop checking the internet! Every ten minutes I was checking my email, checking twitter, checking out extra facts about Marie-Antoinette, Versailles and the French Revolution. (I'm a history nerd!).


So, while I've been really hesitant to ever read an e-book, in the end that wasn't the problem.  It was mainly me.  I think NetGalley is too good a resource to pass up just because I don't enjoy reading on my PC or because of my poor concentration.  So, I thought that maybe I should invest in an eReader.  I think there are enough great titles on NetGalley to make the purchase worthwhile.  The Galleys I plan to download would never replace my actual books, but it would enable me to feature some pre-release books on here, which is always fun to do.  So, where to start? I know absolutely nothing about eReaders, but I found one I thought looked good- The Sony Pocket eReader PRS300R.  Well, it's pink, and that was my main reason for choosing this one.  In addition, the lovely Beth from Maybe Tomorrow assures me that she has one, and it's great.  I can't remember our twitter conversation now, but I'm sure it went something like that. 


So, that's my follow up post, and for any of you who were holding off on NetGalley  or eBooks for the same reasons as me, then I hope this post is helpful to you.

Some questions to you:

  • To anybody else that has already invested in an eReader, I'd love to know if you have any other recommendations for me? I'm looking for readers that are on the cheap side of economical as I'll only be using them for books I can get on NetGalley.  Well, that's the plan.  Let me know in comments if you have any suggestions for me!
  • Can anybody tell me if all the galleys on NetGalley are downloadable onto eReaders? I presume this information is available on the site, but I'm still pretty clueless about eReaders, and I'm not sure if you can read the galleys on all platforms or if some are just available to read on Adobe Digital Editions? If anybody has read a lot of galleys from NetGalley and can fill me it, that'd be great!


    No comments:

    Post a Comment