Thursday, June 3, 2010

Please help me pick my next Young Adult book series. I need to catch up!

I'm a bit behind on a lot of the great Young Adult series that are around at the moment.  I was asked yesterday if I'd ever read any of Cassandra Clare's  Mortal Instruments series and the answer is, no, I haven't.  I haven't  read Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games either. I'm so behind! I've heard really good things about these books, though, and I hope to get to them soon. I don't devote all my reading time to YA books, which is maybe why I've missed out on a lot of these series.  Now though, I'm going to catch up!  I've picked three YA series that I'm interested in, and I'd love to read your thoughts on them.  I intend to get through one series before starting the next.  

Please help me out and tell me what you thought of these books.  If you've read all three series, tell me which series was your favourite.  I think all of these books sound really good, but I want to know how good the series remain as they progress.  Also, if there's another YA series you'd recommend along with or instead of these, then let me know that too. I've missed out on so much!



Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods #1)
Melissa de la Cruz

Vampire novels are my great weakness....!

When the Mayflower set sail in 1620, it carried on board the men and women who would shape America: Miles Standish; John Alden; Constance Hopkins. But some among the Pilgrims were not pure of heart; they were not escaping religious persecution. Indeed, they were not even human. They were vampires.The vampires assimilated quickly into the New World. Rising to levels of enormous power, wealth, and influence, they were the celebrated blue bloods of American society.

The Blue Bloods vowed that their immortal status would remain a closely guarded secret. And they kept that secret for centuries. But now, in New York City, the secret is seeping out. Schuyler Van Alen is a sophomore at a prestigious private school. Suddenly, when she turns fifteen, there is a visible mosaic of blue veins on her arm. She starts to crave raw food and she is having flashbacks to ancient times. Then a girl from her school is found dead... drained of all her blood. Schuyler doesn't know what to think.

Could those vampire legends really be true? Steeped in vampire lore and set against the heady backdrop of the rich, young, and powerful in the heart of New York City, Blue Bloods will be devoured by Melissa de la Cruz's legion fans.


The Luxe (Luxe #1)
Anna Godbersen

I featured Godbersen's upcoming book 'Bright Young Things' as my Waiting on Wednesday a few weeks back.  Got me thinking that maybe I should get started on this series too!

A big, sumptuous tale of catty girls, dark secrets and windswept romance unfurls in this compulsively readable novel of late-19th-century New York City socialites. Godbersen weaves a tenuous web of deceit, backstabbing and pretense that follows four teens: Elizabeth Holland, a prim and proper lady of old-money society, is betrothed to one man, though furtively loves another; Henry Schoonmaker, a debauched playboy who must marry Elizabeth or be disinherited; Diana Holland, Elizabeth’s younger sister who is in love with her fiancé; and Penelope Hayes, a member of the nouveau riche who will stop at nothing to win Henry’s affections. As Elizabeth and Henry’s wedding approaches, the spectacle unfolds in a wondrously grandiose scene, making for a fun, though not entirely unexpected dénouement. A delicious new twist along the Gossip Girl vein, readers will clamor for this sharp, smart drama of friends, lovers, lies and betrayal.

 Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy #1)
Richelle Mead


Ahhhh...More vampires! How do I choose?

St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . .

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment